In the summer of 2012, USAID.gov was relaunched with a brand new redesign. Soon after, the second phase of the website effort took place. This phase included revamping additional parts of this huge site, usability testing, and mobile app analysis. Below are the highlights of my involvement with this phase.
Most countries had separate USAID sites tailored to people on location. As part of the second phase, these sites were rolled into the main USAID site to serve both people on location and in the U.S. Representatives from the countries wanted versatility within what they wanted on their new site. Taking into consideration that some countries have more content than others, we created a digital prototype of a scalable solution. The prototype was created using Zurb's Foundation framework.
About six months after launch we enlisted almost 20 participants for a usability test. Participants were either internal agency employees or external site users. We tested some of the overall features to see how well they were working. Additionally we tested trickier portions of the site. We used Silverback to record the testing sessions.
Based on these results, we were able to make solid recommendations on any site improvements.
Along with the redesigned site, USAID.gov launched two iPhone apps. I conducted a heuristic analysis of how well they worked. As part of the analysis, I compared their apps to other world-service and data-heavy apps such as the World Bank DataFinder, the Bloomberg App, and the Economist World in Figures. Based on my findings, I made both small and large-scale recommendations to improve both apps.
Lastly, I included some other options for future apps, which included a partnership opportunities finder app, day-in-the-life app, and a mobile blogging app.