- Thought leader, speaker in the user experience (UX) field with an energetic attitude for innovation
- Master’s degree in Interaction Design and Information Architecture
- Founded exploreUX, a Meetup for UX enthusiasts in Washington, D.C. and Raleigh, N.C.
- Solid background in UX, design, accessibility, and quality assurance
- Clients included: Dept. of Homeland Security, Dept. of Justice, Dept. of Veterans Affairs, Education Pioneers, Federal Aviation Administration, Library of Congress, U.S. Air Force, U.S. Army, U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Lead Product Designer, 8/2014 – present
Citrix, Raleigh, North Carolina
- Facilitates and models UX and team-strengthening activities including ideation and sketching sessions, innovation projects, and Strength Finders workshop
- Provides thoughtful, strategic solutions for products and product features and conveys information through sketches, wireframes, presentations, and so on
- Strong penchant for innovation and startup mindset - designs tools for productivity, participates in hackathon challenges, and creates pitch decks and demo videos
- Mentors colleagues and non-design colleagues with interaction design guidance, UX methodologies, pitch decks and presentations, and design thinking
- Lead designer for our Android app, which is maximizing Material Design
- Evaluates products from a UX perspective for potential integrations, mergers and acquisitions
- Participates in division’s mentorship program – providing guidance on design careers
- Won best effective in-house design team in the 2014 Design for Experience Award
Senior User Experience Strategist, 11/2012 – present
Rock Creek Strategic Marketing, Chevy Chase, Maryland
- Leading, mentoring, and collaborating with colleagues on UX strategies, viable solutions for project challenges, and speaking engagements
- Identifying, developing, and implementing relevant UX activities along the entire website redesign process for small and large federal agency clients and non-profits
- Researching, concepting, and prototyping new solutions to revolutionize nationwide training for a federal agency
- Initiating change management within the company by applying UX principles to identify pain points and to increase the ease and efficiency of in-house processes
- Guiding clients through the UX process and educating them on UX activities and deliverables
- Creating and implementing multi-device test plans for responsive sites and content management systems
User Experience Designer, 9/2011 – 11/2012
Serco Inc., Rockville, Maryland
- Served as task lead for a mobile app, which included evaluating mobile devices, investigating and developing the best design and development methods, advising on best practices for mobile interactions, and defining and implementing project tasks for team
- Designed wireframes, mock-ups, personas, process flows, site maps, design plans, and other documents to help translate ideas into tangible understanding for clients and team members
- Conceptualized engaging interactions for Web-based training (WBT) incorporating gamification
- Won the business unit’s contest for most innovative mobile app design with “Bridge the Gap” – an app that catches the older workforce up to speed on the latest technology and tools available
- Selected to serve on the inaugural iteration of the business unit's Innovation Council, which sought to inspire creativity and technological growth within the business unit
- Functioned as the business unit’s Section 508 and accessibility expert and provided innovative solutions for ensuring Section 508 compliance without creative sacrifice
Quality Assurance Specialist, 9/2003 – 11/2012
Serco Inc., Rockville, Maryland
- Tested with a strict attention to detail WBTs, electronic performance support systems (EPSS), assessments, Web sites, cross-platform mobile apps, and other digital media for defects, usability, and accessibility compliance
- Managed, organized, and revised a thorough and stringent quality assurance testing process
- Performed testing procedures under extremely tight deadlines without sacrificing quality of testing
- Developed a comprehensive list of machine configurations for cross-platform testing
- Managed the schedule and tasks of part-time quality assurance testers
Senior Graphic Designer, Serco Inc., 4/2003 – 11/2012
Multimedia Developer, Serco Inc., 5/2001 – 4/2003
Master of Science Degree in Interaction Design and Information Architecture
University of Baltimore, Baltimore, Maryland, December 2011.
- Thesis Project/Paper: Mobile Technology for Nonprofits: Harnessing the Power of Crowdsourcing.
- Awarded Turner Research and Travel Award for the thesis project.
- Member, Mobile Technology Student Association, 2009 – 2010.
Certificate in Interactive Multimedia
The George Washington University, Washington, District of Columbia, May 2002.
Bachelor of Science Degree in Natural Resources Management, Environmental Ed. focus
University of Maryland, College Park, Maryland, May 1999.
- President, Stamp Union Program Council, April 1997 – May 1999.
- Consultant, Peer Leadership Consultants, September 1996 – May 1998.
- Presenter. “A Taste of Design Thinking,” Citrix’s Hack Week (Internal), Raleigh, N.C., April 2015.
- Moderator. “Transitioning to a UX Career,” exploreUX. Raleigh, N.C., April 2015.
- Co-presented with Kat Kuhl and Ika Lestari. “Un-siloing Your Project Team with Collaborative Sketches and Digital Prototyping,” Drupalcon Austin. Austin, Texas, June 2014.
- Presented and facilitated. “UX Portfolio Workshop,” exploreUX. Washington, D.C., April 2014.
- Co-presented with Jessica Hang and Virginia Moore. “Behold the Power of Analogies,” IA Summit 2014 Poster Night. San Diego, California, March 2014.
- Co-presented with Jessica Hang and Virginia Moore. “A Collaborative Wireframe Technique,” IA Summit 2014 Poster Night. San Diego, California, March 2014.
- Co-presented with Andrew Wachholz. “Digital Prototypes: Work Smarter Not Harder,”
- MoDevGov. Arlington, Virginia, February 2014.
- MoDevEast. McLean, Virginia, December 2013.
- Co-presented with Jessica Hang, Sarah Thrasher, and Andrew Wachholz. “UX + Development: Playing Nicely Together,”
- Presentation and Panel Discussion: MoDevEast. McLean, Virginia, December 2013.
- Presentation: Capital Camp. Washington, D.C., July 2013.
- Panelist. “Transitioning to a UX Career,” exploreUX. Washington, D.C., September 2013.
- Co-authored with John Totten and David Rinaldo. “UX Yourself: A Business Guy’s Perspective,”
- UXPA Redux. Washington, D.C., October 2013.
- UXPA International. Washington, D.C., July 2013.
- Co-presented with Robert Parrott. “mLearning for Veterans: Designing for Diverse Audiences and Accessibility,” User Focus. Chevy Chase, Maryland, October 2012.
- Founder and organizer, exploreUX - Raleigh edition
- Founder, exploreUX - Washington, D.C. edition
- Co-Director of Community Events, Triangle UXPA, January 2015 – present.
- Plans social, professional, and educational events to foster the local UX community
- Mentors members who are interested in transitioning into the field
- Member, User Experience Professionals’ Association, Washington, D.C. Chapter
- Member, Wikimedia District of Columbia
- Associate, eLearning Guild
Volunteer bone marrow courier for the National Marrow Donor Program, PADI Divemaster, outdoor enthusiast, amateur triathlete, avid cyclist, mixed-media artist, and live-music sound engineer.